Cisco 881G Router Reset To Factory Defaults. You can easily reset your wireless WiFi router. Here we are also provide Reboot methods of Cisco routers. You must reset your Wireless router to the factory defaults settings if you have forgotten your router user name or password. And you need to reboot your device if your router does not works properly.
Difference between Reset and Reboot :
There is a big difference between Resetting a router and Rebooting a router. Reboot means, cycle the power to Router or Refresh the router. Resetting involves changing the router settings back to its factory defaults. Perhaps you have forgotten the password of your Cisco router and now you want to reset the password. First you need to Hard Reset the router then you can use the default password to access your router.
When you reset your router the following settings will be changed:
- Cisco Router username and password
- Wi-Fi username and password
- ISP ip addresses and DNS
- Any firewall settings you have made
- Any portforwards you have set up
- Generally, any configuration or settings changes that you have made to your router.
How To Reset Cisco 881G Router With Button :
To reset your Cisco router to its factory default configuration using the Reset button:
- First switch on router.
- Then, Find the Reset button on the router (Generally back side of the router).
- Press and hold the Reset button with sensitive material while you power on the router.
- After that Release the Reset button after 10 to 15 seconds.
- Next, Wait 5 to 8 minutes for the router to finish booting. You can check the lights on the Cisco router. When the lights are solid or blink in repeating patterns, the router is finished booting.
- Finally, Power off your router.
At this point, your router is reset and will Reboot into its factory-default configuration or Settings the next time you power it on.
Note : Resetting the Cisco router does not reset the firmware to an earlier version. It will only change all settings back to factory defaults.
How To Reset Cisco 881G Router Using Router Commands :
To reset your router to its factory default settings using router commands Follow below steps:
- First switch on your Cisco Router.
- Then, connect your PC or Laptop to the console port on your router with the console cable.
- After that, power on the router and wait 5 to 7 minutes for the router to finish booting. You can check the lights on the router. When the lights are solid or blink in repeating patterns, the Cisco router is finished booting.
- Then, on your laptop or computer, start the terminal emulator program and use it to access your router’s Command Line Interface (CLI).
- Next, In the router Command Line Interface (CLI), enter the commands in boldface to erase the existing configuration(Settings) on your Cisco router and reload the factory default settings on the router:
router > enable
router# write erase
Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove or format all configuration files! Continue? [confirm] < Press Enter key >
Proceed with reload? [confirm] < Press Enter key >
Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes|no] no < Press Enter key >
Do you want to save the configuration of the AP? [yes|no] no < Press Enter key >
- Then, Wait until the Reload or Format finishes and a CLI prompt or completion message appears.
- After that, Close the terminal emulator window on your Computer or Laptop.
- Finally, Power off the router.
At this point, your Cisco router is reset and will boot into its factory default configuration or settings the next time you power it on.
Reset Cisco 881G Router to Factory Settings :
To reset your router settings back to the original factory Configuration, follow below steps. This will delete(Format) any configuration you have on your Cisco router.
The steps below assume you have connected your Cisco router to a console and have accessed your router’s command line interface(CLI).
- First switch off your router.
- Then, switch on your router and within the first 20 seconds of startup send a break character to the terminal.
- Windows OS – If you are using PuTTY, on your keyboard press Ctrl + Break buttons at the same time; or you right click on the bar at the top of the PuTTY window and select Special Command > Break.
- Mac OS – If you are using terminal, on your keyboard press Control + A, then Control + B.
- You may also refer to the Cisco page on Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations when Recover Password.
- Next, You will immediately be taken to the prompt.
- After that, at the prompt, type the following command to tell the Cisco router to skip the existing configuration or settings on startup: confreg 0x2142.
- Then, at the prompt, type the following command to restart the Cisco router: reset.
- The router will restart shortly.
- Next, If you are prompted for initial configuration dialogue, type no.
- Then, After the loading has stopped, press Return to be taken to the main prompt on screen.
- At the prompt:
- Type en to enter privileged mode
- Type write erase to issue the erase comment
- Type y to confirm erase command
- Type configure t
- Type config-register 0x2102 this tells the Cisco router to process existing config on startup
- Type end
- Finally, switch off your router and then turn it back on. Your router has now been restored to the original factory configuration.
How To Change The Cisco RV325 Router Wi-Fi Password :
These steps will help if you want set a different Wi-Fi password or connect a new device and you can’t remember your Cisco Wi-Fi password.
- First, connect your device to your Wi-Fi modem:
- Then, open a web browser like firefox or chrome and key in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
- After that, enter the following default settings to access the router modem settings and select Login:
- Username: cusadmin
- Password: password (or your current router Wi-Fi password)
- Next, select Setup from the menu at the top of the router page.
- Then, check in the Pre-Shared Key field and select the Show key box to find your current Router Wi-Fi password.
- If you want to change your Wi-Fi password, enter the new password in the Pre-Shared Key field, and select Save Settings option.
- Then, once you’ve saved your changes, you may be disconnected. You will need to use your new password to re-connect to the router Wi-Fi network.
- If you still see the Wi-Fi modem settings, select Log OFF from the menu at the top of the page, Then login again.
- If you’re connected using an Ethernet cable (Cat5 or Cat6), disconnect it from your device (Laptop or Pc) and from your router so that you can test your Wi-Fi’s connectivity.
- Finally, Connect to your Wi-Fi network and, once you’re online, check at least 2 or 3 different websites to make sure your Wi-Fi is working properly or not.
Note: If you can’t connect to your Router Wi-Fi modem or log in to access its settings, you can reset the router to its factory default settings, which will restore its all original network name(s), password(s) and everything. Please see starting of this page.
Cisco Customer Support :
If you are still having problems, contact Cisco customer care department. Follow below links.